May 04, 2013

Poseidon's Temple at Sounion

Everyone knows about the Parthenon in Athens - the big temple to the Goddess Athena that's on the Acropolis.  What I didn't know until I got here (and Joe the CLO told me), was that there are three temples that form an equilateral triangle.  There's the Parthenon, and the Temple of the Goddess Aphaia on Aegina, and the Temple of God Poseidon at Sounion.  Since I'd be visiting both the Parthenon and the temple on Aegina, I knew I needed to go to Poseidon's Temple as well.












The temple is set up on a hill overlooking the ocean.  It's the southern most point from Athens and was a great lookout point for ships approaching by sea.














It's beautiful to see the way it's constructed - all the blocks put together just so.













I always find it interesting what changes and what doesn't  - whether it's across cultures or over time.  At Sounion, you can see all the graffiti people from long ago left.  They carved their names into the marble in order to make their mark.







No comments:

Post a Comment