August 23, 2011

Earthquakes in Virginia?????

Yes Virginia - that was an earthquake.  5.8 to be exact!

Today towards the end of Portuguese language class, the floor started to shake a bit.  At first I didn't pay much attention to it.  After all, being from California I'm used to earthquakes.  I've lived through several major ones so while I tense up and become very aware, I don't panic. 

Also, I had a hard time believing it was an earthquake that was happening in Virginia.  I meant, this is the place where we drive around and admire all the brick buildings and houses, all the while thinking that there's no way there would be this much brick in California - bricks are just not structurally sound for earthquake country.

So - when the rumbling and shaking continued and my classmates and professor started commenting, we all got up and headed to the door jam and away from the window and giant Smart Board.  Several classes let out and people headed for the nearest exit.  Then the alarms started sounding around the building and everyone headed out. 

I caught up with K. (they don't typically put spouses in the same class) and we headed home (class being over) to check on our kids.  It took us a bit to get home with the traffic and everyone being out in front of their buildings, but we got home and found that everything was fine.  N. had been in the apartment and exited it when the shaking stopped.  Once outside she went to our meet up spot and checked on O.  O. had been on the play structure and of course hadn't noticed a thing!

It was nice to be together after all the shake up.  I'm very proud of our kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment