August 08, 2011

Language Studies

Language training is a big deal in the Foreign Service.

The State Department prides itself on training it's employees in 70 different languages for it's more than 265 embassies, consulates and diplomatic missions all over the world.  In order for officers to attain tenure, they must achieve proficiency in at least one language.

I have friends who are learning single-use "boutique" languages like Latvian or Georgian which are primarily used in just one country, and friends who are learning widespread multi-use languages like Spanish or Chinese which are spoken all over the world by millions of people.


Language training at FSI is very different from learning a language in college.  In college, I took both Russian and French and had class 3 times a week for 70 minutes.  When you're in language training at FSI, ALL you do is study that language.  I'm in class 4 hours a day with just 3 other students.  I also have an hour of language lab a day and at least 3 hours of homework and other language based activities.

The very first day you start language training, there is an orientation which goes over all of the tools that are available for your use.  You also take a number of tests to determine your particular learning style.  I took the Meyer's Briggs test (again), as well as several other tests that give feedback about how you think and approach ideas and learn.  One of the tests looked at how easy it is for me to take in information - and what's the best way for that to happen.  Another test looked at the ways in which I process information.  I learned that I'm lucky in that I take in information very easily and in a variety of ways, but that my challenge will be to organize it in a fashion that is easily accessible.  I also learned that I'll need to firm up my casual attitude towards communication and be more serious about grammar rules.  And that I need to stretch out of my learning comfort zone by working on my auditory style as opposed to my more comfortable visual style.


The instructors and classes are shuffled every 4 weeks so that students get to learn from a variety of native accented speakers and so that the classes comprise appropriate balances for optimum learning.  I am now beginning my sixth week of learning Portuguese and I am loving it!

That's not to say it isn't hard and that my brain doesn't hurt and that there aren't many, many days that I feel like a complete idiot.  But it's so wonderful to be able to just focus on just learning Portuguese.  And to have such wonderful instructors, such great resources, and to be able to take advantage of the latest learning techniques.

It's also hard for a control-freak like me - it's rough speaking like a 3 year old all the time, and having the days where you just can't remember anything.  Learning a language is an art (I've heard).  I'm finding that it's a lot about trusting the process.  It reminds me of working out at the gym: it's not about lifting a lot of weights one day or running far the next.  It's about working out consistently day in and day out and eventually (many weeks / months down the road), you'll develop some muscles and tone and stamina.  But it happens so slowly, you don't notice it.  Until one day you put on an outfit you haven't worn for a while and it feels and looks distinctly different.

And that's where the great instructors at FSI come in.  They work with you one on one and have great resources to help you achieve your best.  It just takes time.



No comments:

Post a Comment