March 04, 2012

Third Time's a Charm

So - all in all, I ended up having three surgeries to get it all out. 

The first one was the expected one.  The second one came about because the margins weren't clear - just needed to clean it up.

The third one came about because the second surgery showed that the cancer went a little further than they had expected.  I was given a choice.  I could have one much more involved surgery where they'd take everything and be done with it.  Or, they could go back in and try to get this last part - but if that didn't work, they would have to then go back and do the big surgery - it was up to me.

Luckily, I am one of those rare people who doesn't get horribly bothered by surgeries - I don't get sick, I don't get nervous.  I just relax and try to enjoy a day with people attending to me, lots of pain killers and the occasional hospital graham cracker, cranberry juice and if you're really lucky - jello.

I also didn't want to lose any more of me than I had to.  I wanted to keep as much of my feeling and self intact.  So - I opted for a third surgery and kept my fingers crossed.

My dad came up again.  The man is a saint.  He's come up the last three weeks.  Driving from LA on a Thursday, taking me to the hospital and attending to me on Friday and Saturday, and then driving back home on Monday.  Not to mention putting up with my dragging him to various fabric stores and spice stores and forcing him to eat at all these restaurants.  Well - that last part isn't true.  I've never had to force him to eat a restaurant.  He's been my willing partner in our eating binge.  We've had loads of fun - I took him to the latest hipster bar (where he almost got a PBR), and the famous Berkeley Cheeseboard Collective to get pizza, as well as other, fancier places.  It's been nice just the two of us.  We've had some great times - it reminds me of the time we drove across the country together.  It's amazing when it's just the two of us together, how much we are alike - quirky and weird in many of the same places.  I didn't get to see my mom during this time, which would have been nice, but I really appreciate the gift she gave my dad and me of spending so much quality time together.  She really took one for the team.  And besides - she's promised to come and visit me in DC - so we'll get our alone time as well.

This third surgery was very hard on my family.  For them - stuck in Brazil without me, it felt like yet another delay in a seemingly endless set of delays that was keeping us apart.  The slow torture of it could push anyone over the edge.  Luckily, with a little rest and time, balance and grounding does comes back.

The results came back a week later - as usual.  Luckily this time it worked - they got it all!!!!

I now am headed to DC for the next stage of my treatment and will also be able to work at the Mothership.  One step closer to being with my family!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad they got it all out finally! Hopefully you'll all be together again soon. That has to be hard. It sounds like your mom and dad are awesome support though.

    ReplyDelete