March 04, 2012

Unfettered Time

This recuperating time is time like I've never had before in my life.

I don't have to be anywhere or do anything for days on end.  All I'm supposed to be doing is resting and recuperating.  I'm in a hotel room all by myself.  I can get up when I want, go to sleep when I want, do anything when I want.  There is no one that I need to take care of, or talk to, or interact with.

Since I'm in a hotel room, I don't have any chores to do, no clean-up, no de-cluttering, no repair work.  None of those things that nag at you when you try to relax.

And since I've just had surgery, I don't have the energy to go sight-seeing, or shopping, or anything but rest.

It's very odd.

I am, by nature, a fairly busy person.  It's hard for me to relax and sit still (a fact that continues to challenge my husband).  But here I am and there's nothing for me to do and nothing I should be doing.

There's been lots of time for self-reflection:
  • I've had a chance to ponder what my ideal schedule is - apparently I like to get up around 2 AM and putter for an hour or so and then go back to sleep.   And take a nap in the afternoon!
  • I've realized I'm really not a TV or movie person - background noise is OK or when it's a shared experience.  
  • I also don't need a lot of sound around me - music, NPR - I really like the quiet.
What I do really like to do is create.  Whether it's knitting, painting, cooking, gardening or sewing, I love to make something new - something that allows me to think outside the box and use all my senses.

I've been lucky to be able to borrow a sewing machine from a good friend (and fabulous author - check out her book!).  And as this time has gone on a bit longer than anyone anticipated, I've had loads of time to make things.  And one day my wonderful dad took me to Berkeley's fabulous quilting store as well as the wonderful fabric store so that I could buy some fabric.  The man is a saint - we looked at fabric for almost 3 hours!

I finally followed up on the passport covers that I've been wanting to make for a while.













And then I found a pattern and made some pencil cases to send to the kids while I'm away.  My dad picked out these fabrics.

I've recently discovered Pinterest and found a some great sewing projects there.

This shirt pattern I liked so much I made three.














And this top caught my eye as well.




















Then a skirt that was so fun I made two.














And lastly, this skirt.

As I said - I have a hard time sitting still.

3 comments:

  1. Wow -- I wish I spent my time as productively as you. I've mostly just caugt up on TV. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - I had the TV going as well. I'm just such a busy person I need to be doing something else as well.

      Delete
  2. whoa! I forgot to ask you how the sewing was going. I guess I figured that you were more like me and would be all enthusiastic about the project but then either not finish or just do one. I can't believe all the things you made. They are beautiful! XXOO

    ReplyDelete