January 04, 2014

My morning run

I didn't play sports growing up and certainly never embraced the whole "running" thing.  But I knew that without my beloved Berkeley Y I needed to find a new way to get in my exercise wherever I am.



The head of the department I worked in while I was in DC last year is a remarkable woman. MBT is the best supervisor I've seen in the State Department - likable, down to earth, supportive, efficient, and effective.  She's also a runner and despite being incredibly busy and high powered manages to find time to squeeze in her run most days.  She inspired me to try to incorporate running into my schedule.









That - and the fact that I really wanted to get a pair of Vibram shoes and couldn't justify spending the money unless I actually used them.

So - I got the shoes and started running in Brazil.  I got one of those Couch to 5K apps and started.





It's been pretty cool.  Of course in the almost two years I've been doing this, I haven't done a 5K.  But I've come close.  And more importantly, I've discovered a love of running.  Especially in the early morning.  It's a great start to my day.





It doesn't hurt that starting this in Recife I get to run along the Boa Viagem each morning and watch the sun come up. It's gorgeous running along the ocean with the waves crashing and watching the sun rise along the horizon.  And when it rains, it's glorious - the warm rain on my body as I run along is fantastic!














And then there are the regulars - various Brazilians that have a similar morning routine.


Some of them are just finishing their nights.

Others I see every morning and create names in my head for them.








Still others have such great outfits - only in Brazil!

No comments:

Post a Comment