March 18, 2011

Mental Health

I've spent the last 8 months as the Office Manager at the Mental Health Association of San Francisco.

When I took this position last August, I was interested in it because it was a position that would provide benefits and sustenance for my family and because it was a non-profit who's mission I could support.



In those 8 months it has become so much more.

I've had the wonderful opportunity to work with some amazing and talented people. The friends I've made I hope will be with me for a long time.  They've taught me so much and I'm so excited at the directions that their lives are taking them.

I've learned more about the harm that our stigmas and discrimination cause to our society. And I do mean our society - not individuals. By not seeing and including all the members of our society we really do ourselves a disservice.  Everyone has something to bring to the table and a perspective to share and deserves the respect that goes with that contribution.  The more that we can take advantage of everyone and everything the world has to offer, the closer we can come to the important truths in life.

I wish my friends and MHA-SF the best as they continue fighting the good fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment