March 18, 2011

The Packout

Packing out is probably the most stressful and difficult thing I've had to do as part of this foreign service process.

Now you are quite possibly asking yourself why I chose this job / career / lifestyle is packing out is so difficult.

Harder and more stressful than studying for and taking the written exam; more difficult that the PNQ essays for the QEP; and more intense than the oral assessment this Packout has touched just about every mental nerve I possess.

Sorting and organizing began weeks ago - at least in my head at 4 AM each day. I really couldn't start putting things into piles until this past week. And then our house became so chaotic that it was difficult to have a clear thought or prepare a healthy meal. Which if course contributed to the stressful ADD aspect of all of this.

By the night before the movers came, we were all so tired that all we wanted to do was go home and relax. But of course our home was gone at this point so we went to a hotel and tried to get some rest. I'm so glad I got a hotel with an indoor pool and hot tub!

The packers / movers were so wonderful when they arrived. So calm and soothing- they really put me at ease. I was able to relax for the first time in weeks. And they were so kind as they gently let me know that I had no concept of what 700 pounds of stuff was. At least I got the really important stuff in the air shipment - the kids scooters and toys, our clothes ( well all of the family's and most of mine - who knew clothing weighed so much?), and the TiVo.

Well - I am of course hoping ( and counting on) that it will get better and that I will get better at it. And I figure that since obviously it's an area where I seem to have some issues, this is a good opportunity to address and work on those issues. After all - isn't this one of the many many benefits of this lifestyle - the opportunity to push the envelope and challenge ourselves in ways we hadn't even contemplated. I just hadn't thought it would hit so soon.

But I am so glad it's over for now. Our stuff is packed and in it's way!

No comments:

Post a Comment